If an Indian tribe, worked through all the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and can build an internet casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos round the state, you almost certainly run into others you know from Enid, partaking in the recreation furnished by the casinos. These are the same people who have left our town and they are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying at the hotels inside area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was one of the numerous concessions created to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person made a bingo game that appeared to be a slot machine. We supply seen the small digital bingo card on the top corner of the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos did start to spring up everywhere. After all, you had been still playing bingo, just in a very new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between your tribes as well as the State of Oklahoma allowed the use of Vegas style video poker machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and much better casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino are only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in the trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid has no casino, would be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it absolutely was found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part in the Cherokee Outlet, occupied by the Cherokee people following the Treaty of New Echota and the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the region was a hunting ground from the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to be within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive facets of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken up operate tribal governments and programs for its citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes use the revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related tourist attractions are built.
4. Jobs are created.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent in the visitors to casinos were considering also doing something besides gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions for example family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business people.
10. Casinos give you a magnet for outside check here money that didn't previously exist.
11. Local resident who used to travel outside with the area now stays within the region.
12. More construction jobs are created building casinos.
13. Gambling can be an accepted method for governments to raise funds. It is seen as source of money that's easier to obtain which is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the next businesses showed an increase in profits, attendance, and customers after an online casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative areas of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependancy.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour millions of dollars into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes may also be influencing gambling and also other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a large amount to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is surely an increase inside following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is called an action addiction. When gambling, the endocrine system, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more frequently, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, in order that it takes more gambling and higher stakes, to get the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling lights up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an online casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, what can be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems organic beef not want to manage?